These instructions outline the procedures to follow when a school bus is involved in an accident that delays the scheduled bus run and/or a student injury has occurred.
- The bus driver will immediately contact dispatch to report the accident and/or any student injuries.
- The bus driver will provide the location and a brief description of the accident and any related student injuries.
- If the students’ injuries require medical assistance, the bus driver will request that dispatch contact 911.
- Dispatch will immediately call 911 to request medical assistance (if needed).
- Dispatch will contact the bus driver via radio and ask for the students’ names and school(s). The bus driver will communicate this information if possible.
- Dispatch will review the students’ medical conditions (if on file).
- Dispatch will report any known medical conditions to 911.
Dispatch will contact the school office and the Director of Transportation to report the accident and any student related injuries.District representation will be on site as soon as possible to assist the emergency responders (as appropriate).School personnel will communicate with the students’ families in regards to the accident and any student related injuries.The Director of Transportation will inform the Superintendent about the accident and student related injuries. A summary document including all relevant details will be recorded and placed on file.Following an incident, procedures will be reviewed to determine the need for any adjustments.
- If student medical conditions are not on file, but surface in communication with the school, dispatch will update 911.
- Do not communicate the student medical conditions over the radio network.